The SMA is a statutory authority established under the Local Government Act 1999 as a partnership between the South Australian government and the Local Government Association (LGA). A key function of the SMA is to facilitate and coordinate stormwater management planning by councils, and the SMA has a statutory responsibility to identify priority catchments for which stormwater management plans (SMPs) should be prepared.
This responsibility is fulfilled through the document Stormwater Management Planning Priorities for South Australia 2016– 2020 published by the SMA.
The Local Government Act 1999 requires that the SMA review and update its priorities for stormwater management planning at least every five years, however, a number of factors have prompted an earlier review of the 2016 Priorities.
These factors include:
- The significant progress that has been made in delivery of the 2016 Priorities, either through SMPs that have been approved or projects that are underway
- The state government’s reform of natural resources management legislation and the opportunity to prepare for and be aligned with the priorities of Green Adelaide
- The availability of more recent information on water quality risks, flood risks and stormwater reuse opportunities
- Constraints on the capacity of the Stormwater Management Fund and the need for careful and considered prioritisation
In addition, identification of the 2016 priorities relied heavily on expert opinion. As part of this process, the SMA will also be considering how to put a more robust measure of both current and emerging development pressures in place.
A discussion paper has been prepared to seek stakeholder input for consideration of priorities and the development of a methodology and criteria to prioritise catchments (or towns) for stormwater management planning. Ultimately this will lead to a revision of the Stormwater Management Planning Priorities for South Australia document.
The paper is available here.
Feedback is required by COB on 16 August 2019. Feedback can be provided through one of the following channels:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (08) 8124 4787
- Write to: Stormwater Management Authority, c/-GPO Box 1047, Adelaide, SA, 5001.
Please contact David Trebilcock, General Manager of the SMA if you require further information on the consultation using the details above.