Onkaparinga Mayor Lorraine Rosenberg elected LGA President
City of Onkaparinga Mayor Lorraine Rosenberg commences her two year term as President of the Local Government Association of South Australia (LGA) this week.
Mayor Rosenberg was elected to the position unopposed, and takes over from Mid Murray Mayor Dave Burgess, who has served as LGA President since May 2015.
Mayor Rosenberg said she was committed to continuing the reform and efficiency initiatives introduced by the previous Board.
“We have six new Board members starting, and my initial focus will be on getting everyone up to speed, and moving ahead with the schemes and governance reviews we started last year,” Mayor Rosenberg said.
“To drive efficiency in our sector we’ll continue to work with the government on boundary adjustment reform, undertake a shared services audit, and look at introducing benchmarking for our sector.
“With rate capping expected to be a key issue for the next State election, we need to demonstrate that we're already the most efficient sphere of government, and looking for opportunities to deliver further efficiencies.”
Mayor Rosenberg said building on the LGA’s value proposition was another priority for her term.
“As a membership based organisation, it’s critical that we’re meeting the needs of our members, and providing councils and their communities with real value for money.”
The LGA's Constitution requires that the Association’s President alternates being from a metropolitan and country council.
The full LGA Board commencing this week includes the following members:
Immediate Past President
Mayor Dave Burgess, Mid Murray Council
- Mayor Robert Bria, City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters
- Mayor Gillian Aldridge, City of Salisbury
- Mayor David Parkin, City of Burnside
- Mayor David O’Loughlin, City of Prospect
- Mayor Kevin Knight, City of Tea Tree Gully
- Mayor Karen Redman, Town of Gawler
- Mayor Glenn Spear, City of Mitcham
- Cr Sue Clearihan, Adelaide City Council
- Mayor Bruce Green, City of Port Lincoln
- Mayor Erika Vickery, Naracoorte Lucindale Council
- Mayor Keith Parkes, Alexandrina Council
- Mayor Peter Hunt, Berri Barmera Council
- Mayor Neville Jaensch, Coorong District Council
- Mayor Sam Johnson, Port Augusta City Council
- Mayor Peter Mattey, Goyder Regional Council
- Mayor Denis Clark, Northern Areas Council
Deputy Board Members
- Mayor Bill Spragg, Adelaide Hills Council
- Mayor Angela Evans, City of Charles Sturt
- Cr Arthur Mangos, City of West Torrens
- Cr Rosalina (Mikki) Bouchee, City of Holdfast Bay
- Mayor Brenton Lewis, Rural City of Murray Bridge
- Cr Michael (Bim) Lange, The Barossa Council
- Mayor Andrew (John) Rohde, Port Pirie Regional Council
- Mayor Glen Rowlands, District Council of Yankalilla
- Mayor Richard Sage, District Council of Grant
- Mayor Sam Telfer, District Council of Tumby Bay
This is the first time Mayors Redman, Lewis and Rowlands and councillors Bouchee, Mangos and Lange have been elected to the LGA Board.
Four vice presidents – who along with the President and Immediate Past President will comprise the LGA Executive Committee – will be elected from amongst the Board’s membership at their first meeting on 25 January 2017.