SA Councils - for the swings rides and slides
Got plans for the weekend?
What about taking the kids (or grand-kids) to the playground? Kicking a ball around at the park and throwing a few snags on the public BBQ? Or grabbing your togs for a dip in the local pool?
South Australian councils maintain thousands of parks and playgrounds across the State for the enjoyment of local residents. Councils also operate recreation and community centres, hosting everything from indoor cricket to roller-skating.
What about a spot of fishing? You could throw a line in from one of the dozens of jetties maintained by SA’s beachside councils. Or cool off at a council operated swimming pool.
South Australian councils invest millions of dollars each year in providing services and facilities to make everyday life in your community a little better.
To find out what’s available in your council area visit your council website.
Have you ever considered how everyday life is improved by the many services councils provide?
Councils are responsible for delivering hundreds of services and facilities that contribute to building strong and vibrant communities. As part of this councils look after about $22 billion of public assets.
A snapshot of the services and facilities provided by South Australian councils includes:
| street lighting │ arts and culture programs │bushfire prevention │ caravan parks │ cemeteries │ coastal care initiatives │ community buses │ community centres │ wetlands │ development and planning services │ dog and cat management │ disability services │ economic development initiatives │ environmental programs │ events │ footpath maintenance │ heritage activities │ immunisation clinics │ libraries │ museums │ roads │ men’s sheds │ footy and soccer ovals │ netball and tennis courts │ aged care services │ playgrounds │ public pools │ recycling facilities │ skate parks │ stormwater drains│
For more facts and figures, Local Government in Profile provides a snapshot of local government in SA.
These services and facilities rely on the rates collected from ratepayers within a council’s boundaries. Council rates are a form of taxation, and as the main source of funding for councils, they’re essential in enabling them to deliver the services and facilities that your community relies on.
Council rates make up about 70% of the revenue received by councils. The remaining 30% is made up of government grants, user fees and other funding.
For an average Australian household council rates equate to around $3.50 per day (or $25 per week). This represents just under 2% of the average weekly household expenditure of $1200. And in return, ratepayers have access to hundreds of services and facilities.
Council rates are only a fraction of the total taxes paid by Australians – less than 4% in fact. Meanwhile, the federal government collects approximately 80% of the taxes that Australians pay, while state government collects about 16%.
Some of the tax revenue that is collected by federal, state and local government is shared or passed on between the different spheres of government. For example, councils receive Financial Assistance Grants from the federal government to support local communities, and the state government supports councils through a range of grant programs. Some of the revenue collected by councils, such as the NRM levy, is required to be passed back to the state government.
Even with support from federal and state government, councils still only receive 4.5% of all taxes collected.