All voting in council elections is done by post.

Enrolled voters receive a voting package through the mail and return their completed ballot paper in the reply paid envelope provided.

Click here find out more about enrolling to vote or check your enrolment details.

Voting packs are distributed in the mail at least 2 weeks prior to the close of voting.

In addition to ballot papers, each pack includes information about the candidates standing for election.

Information about each of the candidates is also available here.

Some councils offer ‘meet the candidate’ events. Contact your local council to find out whether such events are being held in your community.

Votes must be received by the Returning Officer no later than the day and time noted on the ballot materials.

A postal voting guide included in the package explains how to complete and return the ballot papers. Information is also available on the Electoral Commission of South Australia website.

Unlike State and Federal elections, it is not compulsory to vote in South Australian council elections. However, council elections are the biggest single voluntary civic participation activity in the state with nearly 400,000 people voting in the 2018 periodic council elections.

Can I vote if I’m not on the State (House of Assembly) electoral role?

Voting in council elections is open to a broader range of people than State and Federal elections. You may be eligible to join the council supplementary roll. Find out more here.

Is voting compulsory?

No, but it is encouraged.

How do I know if I’m on/get onto the electoral role/make sure I receive a voting pack?

You can check and update your details on the State electoral roll via the Electoral Commission (ECSA) website.

When will I receive my voting pack?

Voting packs are distributed in the mail at least 2 weeks prior to the close of voting.

When does voting close?

Ballots must be received by the Returning Officer by midday on the date shown on the ballot materials.

What do I do if I haven’t received my voting pack?

Contact ECSA.

Can I vote in more than one election/area?

Possibly. If you own a property or a business or are the designated representative of a group in another council area or council ward, you may be eligible to vote in more than one election. You will need to enrol on the council supplementary roll in order to be able to do this.

How do I become the designated person for a group/body corporate to vote on their behalf?

You must complete the appropriate enrolment form for your council supplementary roll with the approval of your body corporate/group and submit it to your council.

Can I vote as a business as well as an individual in the same council ward (if both my house and business are in the same ward?

No. Under section 14 of the Local Government (Elections) Act 1999 there are various entitlements for enrolment enabling a business or group to enrol, and for individuals to enrol, however these provisions do not entitle the same person to be enrolled for the same election (ward or council-wide) more than once.

Where can I get more information about the candidates?

After nominations close and ECSA have undertaken the appropriate checks, information about candidates will be published on this website. The same information will also be provided in the ballot packs distributed to electors at least two weeks prior to close of voting.

Voting packs are distributed in the mail at least two weeks prior to the close of voting. If you do not receive a voting package, or make a mistake on your ballot form contact ECSA to request the issue/re-issue of voting materials before the close of voting.

An elector who is unable to complete their ballot material or sign the declaration envelope maybe assisted in voting.

Refer to the postal voting guide enclosed in the ballot pack or contact ECSA who will provide assistance.

Supplementary election results are available to view on the Electoral Commission website.

The results from the 2018 Council Elections are available from ECSA.

Under the Elections Act, the Returning Officer must declare the provisional result of the poll once the result becomes apparent. The election result must be finalised and published within one month of the close of voting.