Electricity Contracts

New electricity supply contracts negotiated by LGA Procurement will save South Australian ratepayers approximately $14 million over the next three years.

The three contracts are for electricity supply Above 160 MWh (large sites such as swimming pools and civic centres), Below 160MWh (small sites such as small libraries and council offices), and 12/24h Unmetered (street and traffic lighting).

Each of the contracts covers only the supply of electricity, which makes up around 40% of the total cost, with the remaining 60% comprised of non-negotiable distribution and regulatory costs determined by the Australian Energy Regulator.

All three agreements commence on 1 January 2020 for a period of 3 years, expiring 31 December 2022.

These local government specific contracts meet the needs of councils particularly in relation to consolidated billing, electronic reporting and GreenPower obligations.

There are three contracts in place:

  • 12 & 24 Hour Unmetered (Street & Traffic Lights)
  • Above 160mWh Supply for large sites
  • Below 160mWh Supply for small sites

Key contract information

Contract nameElectricity 12/24 hour (Unmetered) 
Contract numberLGAP 19054
Contract start date1 January 2020
Contract expiry date31 December 2022
Successful Retailer Infigen Energy
 
Contract nameElectricity Above 160 MWh p.a.
Contract numberLGAP 19054
Contract start date1 January 2020 
Contract expiry date31 December 2022 
Successful Retailer Infigen Energy
 
Contract nameElectricity Below 160 MWh p.a.
Contract numberLGAP 19054.2 
Contract start date1 January 2020
Contract expiry date31 December 2022
Successful Retailer Origin Energy
Infigen Energy - Logo

Origin Energy - Logo

Contract Management / Adminsitration

As the holder of the Head Agreement for all contracts, LGA Procurement will undertake the administration of the contracts for their full term.

This includes management of queries relating to invoicing and also managing Roll-In/Roll-out requests.

Please contact LGA Procurement with any queries.

Adding or removing a site from your existing agreement (Roll-In / Roll-Out)

From time to time, a council may wish to add or remove a site to/from their Agreement for the Supply of Electricity.

This is termed a roll-in or roll-out and refers to the transfer of a site from one electricity provider to another.

Reasons may include:

  • Transfer of the site to the retailer was not identified by council at the time of entering into the original arrangement.
  • An arrangement with another provider has recently expired providing the opportunity to transfer the site to the appropriate retailer.
  • Purchase or sale of a site by council.

For this to occur, you should contact LGA Procurement who will arrange for the appropriate retailers Roll-In/Roll-Out Form to be completed.

You will need a copy of the last Electricity Account (both back and front), or at a minimum, the NMI (National Meter Identifier Number). You will also need to know the amount of both peak and off-peak energy that has been used over the past 12 months.  You can obtain this information from the last full year of invoices.

LGA Procurement will complete as much detail as possible on the correct form and send to council to be finalised and signed. When completed, the form should be emailed to LGA Procurement for lodgement with the appropriate retailer.

New connections/alterations/abolishments

For new connections (i.e. a new site that does not have electricity connection), alterations or abolishments your council will need to complete an SA Power Networks FORM A. Your electrician will provide the FORM A and assist with its completion.  The completed FORM A should then be emailed to LGA Procurement.

LGA Procurement will liaise with the appropriate retailer to facilitate the processing of your FORM A.

SA Power Networks (SAPN) Pricing & Tariffs

Each of the contracts covers only the supply of electricity, which makes up around 40% of the total cost, with the remaining 60% comprised of non-negotiable distribution and regulatory costs determined by the Australian Energy Regulator.

SA Power Networks is required to assign a Network tariff to each of a customer‘s connection points, on the basis of a number of factors set out in the National Electricity Rules (the Rules) and procedures established by the AER. SA Power Networks is also permitted to reassign a customer‘s tariff class, if appropriate. This assignment and reassignment of customers to tariff classes is required by the National Electricity Rules to be subject to an effective system of assessment and review.

For further information regarding SAPN Pricing & Tariffs, please visit the following the following website - https://www.sapowernetworks.com.au/your-power/billing/pricing-tariffs/

Additional Reading

Fact Sheet 1 - LV Actual Demand Tariff (115 kb)
Fact Sheet 2 - LV Agreed Demand Tariff (97 kb)
Guide to Ancillary Services in the National Electricity Market (697 kb)
SA Power Network - Revised Tariff Structure (392 kb)Energy Use Tips provided by the City of SalisburyEnergy Use Tip - You Have the Power and how to use it (291 kb)Origin Energy NewslettersEvery month, Origin share their views on the energy market and outline the headlines that can impact the supply and price of energy. The most recent report can be found via the following link - https://www.originenergy.com.au/business/commercial-and-industrial/monitor/energy-news.html

Benefits of purchasing through this contract

Find out more about the benefits of purchasing through LGA Procurement.

Eligibility

Click here to see a list of the organisations eligible to access this contract.